Hard work requires focus. In order to devote your full attention to the task at hand, you need to be able to trust that everyone else is doing their job, and that your tools are working properly. Enter the 2014 Ram 1500 – a truck with safety and security features designed to give you peace of mind at every turn. Whether you’re on the worksite or on a camping trip with the family, rest assured that we’ve built the 2014 Ram 1500 with your cargo and your passengers in mind.
Features like pretensioning seat-belt retractors and advanced multi-stage air bags help keep you safe in an accident. And accident-avoidance features, including responsive steering, anti-lock brake system and all-speed traction control, help you stay out of collisions in the first place.
For those who drive on rough roads, electronic stability control (ESC) enhances driver control and helps maintain directional stability under all conditions. ESC is particularly helpful when traveling on snow, ice or gravel. And for those TOWING heavy loads, trailer-sway control reduces trailer sway and improves handling in adverse towing conditions caused by crosswinds and traffic. In addition, integrated trailer brake control allows you to automatically or manually activate the electronic brakes on properly equipped trailers for greater stopping power on downhill grades.
Speaking of downhill grades, hill-start assist helps drivers by maintaining the level of brake pressure applied for a short period of time after a driver’s foot is removed from the brake pedal. If throttle is not applied within a short period of time after the driver’s foot is removed from the brake pedal, brake pressure will be released.
From passenger safety to safely towing a heavy load down to the worksite, the 2014 Ram 1500 has you covered. Additional safety and security features include:
- All-speed traction control: Senses drive-wheel slip and applies individual brakes to slipping wheel(s) and reduces excess engine power until traction is regained
- Brake-lock differential system (BLDS): Allows the vehicle to maintain forward motion if one or two wheels lose traction by selectively and aggressively applying brakes to the spinning wheels
- Crumple zones: Compress by design during an accident to absorb energy from an impact, decreasing transfer of that energy to occupants
- Energy-absorbing steering column: The manual-adjust steering column utilizes two hydroformed coaxial tubes that move relative to each other to allow the column to move forward for enhanced energy absorption during an impact
- Front Park Assist: Assists at low forward speeds to detect stationary objects with audible warnings for the driver
- Interior head-impact protection: Interior pillars above the belt line and instrument panel, including areas around the windshield and rear window headers, roof and side-rail structures and shoulder-belt turning loops are specifically designed to limit head-impact force
- Keyless Enter ’n Go with passive entry: When an individual enters, electronic sensors detect whether the vehicle key fob is present. This will then allow the individual to push a button to start the vehicle without having to insert the key into the ignition (The driver must apply the brake pedal when starting)
- Lock on Sync tire-pressure monitors: Tire-pressure monitoring system self-learns tire position after rotation or when tire is moved to a new location
- ParkSense rear park assist: Assists at low speeds in reverse to detect stationary objects. Consists of audible warnings for the driver and has a display in the multiview screen
- ParkView rear backup camera: Provides a wide-angle view of the area immediately behind the vehicle, along with guidelines that take steering input into consideration. Also aids in lining up a trailer with the vehicle’s trailer hitch. Depending on features, the image displays on the navigation screen or rearview mirror when the transmission is shifted into Reverse
- Safety cage body structure: Protects occupants by managing and controlling energy in the event of an impact
- Side-guard door beams: In front and rear doors, provides occupant protection during a side impact
- Standard side-curtain air bags: Extends protection to all outboard front- and rear-seat passengers. Each side air bag has its own impact sensor, which autonomously triggers the air bag on the side where an impact occurs
- Vehicle theft security alarm: Deters vandalism and theft, frequently lowering insurance premiums. System protects the vehicle from theft by monitoring door-ajar switches and the ignition circuit for unauthorized entry
For more detail on the safety and security features of the 2014 Ram 1500; Ram 2500 and 3500 Heavy Duty; Ram Chassis Cab 3500, 4500 and 5500; Ram ProMaster; and Ram C/V, see the press release, 2014 Ram Truck Safety and Security.